STEM Minds is excited to be announcing the first annual STEM Minds Video Game Design Contest!
We all love to play video games, but now it’s time to create a video game to make the world a better place!
Students will need to combine all of their skills, from storytelling, art design, coding, and more to create their own fully playable video game with MakeCode Arcade.
The real challenge? Students will need to create games that are connected with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The SDGs are “the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all” and attempt to address some of the most pressing global challenges we face, from climate change to clean water to sustainable cities.
This competition can be joined independently or whole classes can participate for some powerful learning. Click here to learn more about the curriculum connections and skills students will build throughout this competition.
Entries for this competition are now closed.
Thank you to everyone who participated and submitted. Check back on Tuesday, April 27th to see the top 5 submissions and vote for your favourite!
Voting Begins In
All this hard work and effort deserves some reward. We will be offering the following prizes to entrants.
- A virtual workshop for 3 classes at the winner’s school (value of $1000)
- A prize pack for the winning student that includes
- A $500 STEM Minds scholarship
- A one-year subscription to STEAM Hub (value of $150)
- A one-year subscription to Brainspace magazine (value of $25)
- A Sphero Mini robot (value of $75)
Second – Fifth Place:
- A one-year subscription to STEAM Hub(value of $150)
- A one-year subscription Brainspace magazine (value of $25)
- A certificate of completion/participation
**Please note that the prize pack for the first-place winner will be mailed to the student’s school if the winner is part of a school registration. All other prizes are in digital format only.