Last updated May 21, 2020
As we plan to re-open our business and offer in-person summer camp programming, we know that you are wondering what steps we are taking in order to ensure the safety of our staff and students.
As always, we are committed to creating a safe environment for all. As a result, we have implemented many new policies and procedures in order to protect our clients and our staff. These practices will continue to evolve based on guidelines from the federal and provincial health ministry.
Additionally, we are continuing to monitor the situation closely to ensure we are taking all precautions recommended by local, national, and international authorities. This document will continue to be updated as new measures are recommended and implemented.
Please scroll through this page for full details on all policies and procedures.
Please note that your participation in our In-Person Summer Camp programming requires you to ensure that you have read this document in its entirety to make yourself aware of all parent/guardian and child responsibilities to help us prevent the spread of COVID-19.
As always, please reach out to us at [email protected] in order to ask questions or get more information.
Chief Education Officer
647-846-3154 ext 102
- Our staff have received training on health and safety practices
- We have a Health and Safety committee who has reviewed all the required Ministry of Health guidelines and are actively keeping themselves abreast of what is required
- We have an infectious disease preparedness and response plan established as per ministry guidelines to address risks within our workplace and job tasks for our staff
- Appropriate signage has been placed in our premises for reminder and awareness
- We have a designated lead supervisor assigned to daily camps to address any concerns
Sanitation & Facility Cleanliness
- Prior to re-opening to the public, a deep clean sanitization will be performed by an industrial cleaning company
- After each day of camp programming, a professional cleaning company will thoroughly sanitize our facilities.
- All students will be assigned a single laptop/tablet/robot to be used for the duration of the camp week. All technology will be sanitized at the end of each day.
- Supervisors are sanitizing tables and other key surfaces regularly throughout the day.
- We will maintain social distancing by limiting the number of students in our facility, spreading them out in our center and using non-medical face shields and masks
- Desk markers will be placed to demonstrate distancing. We have also installed desk level partition shields for further protection.
- We have limited our camp registrations to 15 students for our ages 4-7 group and 20 for our ages 8-14 group.
- Both of these age groups will be in separate areas with their own entrance
- All camp registrations will be closed 24 hours prior to the camp start date in order to provide time for participants to review all health & safety policies and procedures. No drop-in registrations will be accepted.
- Ages 4-7 camp will be run in our upstairs room (1200 sq ft). There is a separate entrance to access this space.
- Ages 8-14 camp will be run in our downstairs room (2500 sq ft). There is a separate entrance to access this space.
- There will be no intermixing between our ages 4-7 and ages 8-14 groups during the day. We will have staff specifically allocated to each camp and there will be no intermixing between these staff.
Pick Up & Drop Off Procedures
- No individuals other than staff and campers will be permitted to enter the STEM Minds facilities.
- Wherever possible, please only bring one adult to pick up/drop off campers and keep the pick-up/drop-off person consistent throughout the week.
- For morning drop off, STEM Minds staff will meet parents/guardians and students outside our main entrances. No one other than the camp participant will be permitted to enter the premises and only after:
- All students submit to a temperature scan prior to entering the premises.
- Parents/guardians will sign off indicating that:
- They have dropped off their child to a STEM Minds staff member
- Neither their child nor anyone in their household has experienced any symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 14 days nor have they come into contact with anyone who has been a confirmed case of COVID-19
- Neither their child nor anyone in their household have travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days
Any participants not meeting these requirements will not be permitted to enter the premises.
- For afternoon pickup, STEM Minds staff will meet parents/guardians outside our main entrances. Upon confirming that the individual picking up the child is an authorized pick up, STEM Minds staff will bring students to the door to leave. Parents/guardians will not be permitted to enter the premises.
Staff & Student Health
- No students or staff displaying any signs of illness will be permitted to enter the premises.
- Staff and students will immediately wash their hands upon entering the facilities and prior to leaving, as well as at key points throughout the day (i.e. before eating).
- All campers will participate in a health & safety tutorial on the first day of camp related to proper handwashing, cough/sneeze etiquette, etc
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) has been provided to staff.
- If required by health authorities, students may be required to wear a face-covering during camps. In this case, students will be required to bring their own from home OR can purchase a “PPE care package” from STEM Minds. These care packages will include 1 baseball hat and reusable plastic shield and 1 cloth face mask. Additional cloth face masks can be purchased for an additional fee while supplies last. These “PPE care packages” will be priced at materials cost only.
- Lessons and activities have been modified in order to promote social distancing.
- Signs have been posted around the facility to promote proper handwashing, cough/sneeze etiquette, etc.
- If any staff or student is identified to have exposure to COVID-19, we will notify York Region Health Services and follow the required protocol. We will also inform parents to ensure there is open communication.
- In this event, appropriate quarantine practices will be enforced and a deep clean of premises will be done