STEM Minds is excited to be announcing our 3D Design Summer Contest!
3D design is quickly shaping the world around us across every industry. Learning these skills gives you the power to design a better world and create the future you want to see.
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are “the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all” and attempt to address some of the most pressing global challenges we face.
In connection to the UN SDGs, the theme for the 3D Design Summer Contest is “Future Cities.” From climate change to gender inequality, clean energy to health, how can the cities of the future be designed to create a brighter tomorrow?
Using 3D design, your job will to be to create a design that connects to the theme of Future Cities. Whether it’s a revolution in building design, a new energy system, or a product in a store, how you choose to interpret this theme is up to you as long as it’s focused on one of the 17 UN SDGs.
In addition to your design, we also require a short pitch about your design and how it connects to the theme. This pitch can be written or recorded as a video/audio file. Your pitch must be less than 250 words.
We’re so excited to see what you come up with. Good luck!
Registration opens on June 28, 2021. Enter your details below to be notified first when registration officially opens!
How to Get Started
- By registering for this contest, you will have free access to the STEM Minds STEAM Hub course for 3D Design until August 12, 2021 so you can learn all the skills you need to create your project.
- Participants can work through the course at their own pace; feel free to use the course in your class in any way that makes sense to you!
- Once participants have built their skills, they’re ready to create their own unique project. Participants will also need to submit a short (less than 100 words) description of their project and how it solves the problem.
- Students can submit their projects any time between 12:00 pm EST on June 28, 2021 and 11:59 pm EST on August 12, 2021. Only one submission per participant will be accepted.
- Using this rubric, our judges will narrow down all submissions to the top 5 best projects. The top 5 finalists will be announced on August 23, 2021 at 12:00 pm EST.
- The top 5 projects will be shared for community voting until August 29, 2021 at 11:59 pm EST.
- The votes will be tallied for each of the top 5 projects and the first-place winner will be announced at 12:00 pm EST on August 30, 2021.
Of Course There’s A Prize!
All this hard work and effort deserves some reward. We will be offering the following prizes to entrants.
- A virtual workshop for 3 classes at the winner’s school (value of $1000)
- A prize pack for the winning student that includes
- A $500 STEM Minds scholarship
- A one-year subscription to STEAM Hub (value of $150)
- A one-year subscription to Brainspace magazine (value of $25)
Second – Fifth Place:
- A one-year subscription to STEAM Hub(value of $150)
- A one-year subscription Brainspace magazine (value of $25)
- A certificate of completion/participation
Get a Head Start with STEAM Hub!
STEAM Hub, our subscription-based online learning platform, teaches essential STEM subjects while building crucial 21st-century skills, through courses in topics like coding, robotics, video game design, app and web development, film & photography, and yes – even 3D design!
STEAM Hub has a three-tier subscription model available that allows you to choose the right starting place for your child to begin. We have a mission towards their future success in-mind. Our courses are categorized by skill-level—not age. This means your child can complete courses on-demand, at their own pace, and without any limitations!